Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Daisy Mae Memorial Inverness Cape

I just lost my 18-1/2 year old Burmese cat, Daisy Mae, to old age. I was there when she was born and I stayed with her until the end. When I called my sister, who has been with me on other, similar occasions, I told her that I just wanted to knit myself into oblivion.

I found the perfect project in "Simply Shetland 4 at Tomales Bay." It's the Inverness Cape, a lovely, simple design with a slight ruffle around the neck, a warm collar, and 21 inches of ever-increasing seed stitch, ending in a 544 stitch, 6-inch seed stitch ruffle.

I even had the yarn - 19 skeins of a defunct Knit Picks yarn called Shamrock, a heavier 4-ply yarn, in a green/blue color called McNamara. The yarn is slightly over-dyed. It leaves a blue line on the finger I use to tension the yarn, and I've found that my fingernails have a blue tinge, too - thankfully, it washes off.

So far I've put about 35 hours of knitting into it. I figure that the cape will take roughly sixty to sixty-five hours to complete.

The collar fits closely aroud the neck and needs three buttons to close it. Finding the right three buttons may be a challenge.

Back to my knitting.


ccr in MA said...

Oh, Suzanne, I'm so sorry! It's an awful thing to go through. Just keep knitting.

Stacey said...

So sorry! The loss of such a long-time companion is so hard. You're in my thoughts.