Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Latest Efforts

My niece and I were talking on the phone yesterday, and she suggested that I post about what I'm currently knitting. She's 7, and she's right.

So here's what I'm working on concurrently:




This is the half-done front to a long-overdue Aran sweater. It will to be an anniversary gift to Glenn from his wife, when it's done. They come and visit the sweater every couple of weeks. The good news is that the back is done.








This is my first attempt at hand spinning. The very first hank is on the left. Then the 2nd and 3rd hanks follow. There is a lot more Blue Faced Leicester fiber left to spin, so I'm hoping for enough for a hat and mittens. I really enjoy using a spindle, and not only want to get really good at it, but also want to learn how to handle different types of fiber.




This is the second Ice Queen from Knitty, that I've knit. This time I'm using purple elann.com Super Kydd and lots of beads. Here is a closeup of the beading:





There is something very addictive about adding beads to work. I like the weight and flow they give to the knitted fabric, not to mention the hint of glitz.
Next is the Melon Shawl from Victorian Lace Today, knit using Malabrigo Lace in Orchid 34. I have almost finished the body of the shawl, which was simpler to knit than I anticipated, but with enough pattern change to keep me from getting really bored. The next step will be to knit the border all the way around.





The Malabrigo lace is easy to work with and feels very soft. I'm going to enjoy wearing this shawl. Here's a close-up of the melon stitch and faggotting stitch used in the body of the shawl.









Just in case you think that I never finish anything, here are to two dishcloths I knit for the January Monthly Dishcloth KAL.











I find dishcloths fun to knit, very useful, and I like having a couple around to give as gifts with a nice, handmade (but purchased) bar of soap.


I tried to get Dilly to act as a model, but she wasn't cooperating.


No comments: