Friday, May 4, 2007

Taking the Plunge - First Post

I've been knitting since I was a little girl. My grandmother taught me during summer visits to "the country." The only thing I remember about the learning process was that at one point I was told that I couldn't have dessert until I could knit four rows without dropping a stitch. It was a powerfull motivation, because I can't recall missing any desserts. I also remember riding on the train with my Grandmother, watching her knit. It was a 2-row pattern and the result was a raised diagonal stitch. When we got home, I told her that "I could knit that stitch." She said, "Show me!" and I did. My Uncle Paul got a brown and black scarf for Christmas knit in that stitch.

Over the years, I've drifted away and back, knitting occasionally, as the mood struck. I did a couple of Aran sweaters, a Norwegian sweater, then Norwegian mittens. It wasn't until I became an aunt, that the full weight of my knitting responsibility descended. While Jasmine has been the recipient of a baby blanket (now with Hurricane Allie, another niece), a sweater that was too small (also with Allie), and one that was a little too big, I also branched out - socks, felted bags, entrelac - suddenly I was finding all these fun things to make. Now there are nieces and a nephew and samples for classes, family gifts, and even stuff for me. I have projects at work - a ruffled scarf from ScarfStyle - to work on during conference calls, projects I work on during my commute, promised items (Art - your beret is coming, trust me!), and things for me, unless I give them away.

So this blog is my attempt to Share the Joy (and the occasionall pain) of knitting.

No comments: